Home » Latest News, Run Day-by-Day Updates

July 30 - Another Lovely Day!

30 July 2009 No Comment

img_8355.jpg July 30, 2009
Stage 30!
Wawa, ON to Hemlo, ON.

The day started early with the first team leaving the Wawa Motor Inn at 5:45 am (after waking up bright and early at 4:30 am). The sun had not yet risen and the weather was very cool and foggy. However, despite the gloomy weather, the runner’s spirits were very strong and they were more than eager to hit the road. The team had a very strong running shift, with all members working very hard to cover a large number of miles, including many group runs. The team ran from Wawa to White river, arriving at about 10am. Interestingly, some team members spent their break visiting the local town museum not knowing what to expect. They discovered that White River actually had fascinating pioneer history and many historical artefacts. Also, we discovered that the story of the prominent cartoon character Winnie the Pooh originates from this quaint town of 400 residents.

While the first team was exploring White River, the second team enthusiastically continued forward on the scheduled route. The weather warmed up very nicely for the team’s running shift. The runners noted the efforts exerted by the first team in the morning, and were determined to keep up the strong pace and cover an equivalent amount mileage. They had a great run, and were successful in covering a lot of ground. The team stopped by the roadside to enjoy their lunch at Gloria’s Restaurant just past White River, where the other team took over.

Shortly into their run, the team noticed a large sign from the Ojibwa native tribe, welcoming visitors to their territory. The sign reiterated to the team the reality of the location into which the run had ventured. The scenery was full of deep green forests, many rivers and small lakes with gorgeous islands. The team began to imagine how the lands must have been during the times that only native people roamed these forests. After about 3 hours of running, the team had the final switch for the day with the second team.

The second team ran ahead to complete the final stretch. The weather cooled down but the team heated up because they were determined to finish the day as strong as they had started it. Coincidently enough, the team ended the run by coming into the town of Marathon, after a day of covering the distance of a few marathons (42 km = 1 marathon).

While the second team was running hard, the first team arrived at the Travelodge in Marathon, Ontario, the accommodations for the night. They also had to prepare the dinner for both teams and were lucky enough to meet Terry, the restaurant owner at the hotel. He was kind enough to let the team use his kitchen and dining area to heat up and serve our dinner. He had no obligation to help the team, but did so anyway, which was an outstanding morale booster for the runners. The runners always find it motivating to receive love and support of all forms.

The day ended with a group meeting commending everyone’s efforts for the day. Despite the strong day, both teams were focused on the day to come to ensure they do not loose any momentum towards their next destination.
img_8375.jpg img_8362.jpg img_8354.jpg

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • E-mail this story to a friend!
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • TwitThis

Leave your response!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.