Home » Latest News, Run Day-by-Day Updates

July 31 - A Month Later…

31 July 2009 2 Comments

img_0640.jpg July 31, 2009
Stage 31
Hemlo, ON to Selim, ON.

The morning started with the first team leaving the Travelodge in Marathon at 6 am. Unfortunately, there was very dense fog which prevented us from starting the run on schedule, but this provided time for a nap. Even though the start was delayed by two hours, the team ran over sixty-five kilometres in three hours, well over the average of thirty-three. While the first team was running along Lake Superior they enjoyed great views of the northern shores as well as the different islands far off in the waters. The seemingly mountainous region meant uphill and downhill running which was scenic, but challenging. Soon after, the second team took over and continued along Highway 17.

While running, they had a short pit stop which allowed for a walk down a trail leading to a balcony with splendid views of a waterfall and gorge below. They also received a donation from a passer by who stopped the runners and handed over some cash and wished the runners good fortune on the remaining run. We did not find a Tim Horton’s in Marathon, but there was Robin’s Coffee shop where some of the locals asked the runners questions as to what they were up to.

As the continued their run, the first team had lunch at a beach on Lake Superior in Terrace Bay. For lunch, the first team had delicious sandwiches with views of a different waterfall. Having eaten, half the team went to conquer the land along the waterfall while the other half played volleyball on the sand beach. The other team took over at Schreiber and allowed the second team to take a lunch break.

While running the blue team received a donation from a Punjabi truck driver who saw the team run by him a day earlier. After catching up, he blew his horn to give his support and made a generous donation. When the first team was relieved, a cool breeze came in and offset the heat for the last run of the day. For dinner, volunteers prepared yummy burritos that were eaten at the Villa Banca Inn in Schreiber. After dinner, the two teams went and spent the remainder of the evening on a beach.

Today marked the half way point in terms of time to complete this run. In total 61 days will be taken and July 31st was the mid point of the run from a time perspective. We cannot give you the actual half way for the run distance as some route details are still be worked out with authorities. Anyways, we have come a long way and still have a long way to go and we hope God helps us to complete this event successfully and safely.

After being in remote areas with great scenery but poor cellular phone reception, the team looks forward to their arrival in Thunder Bay tomorrow before the time change and their final few days in Western Ontario. All are keen to visit the Terry Fox monument at Thunder Bay an iconic hero for all Canadians. Many of the runners are even more appreciative of his Marathon of Hope seeing the vast distances and terrain he covered and unless themselves when they have relay team mates to support them, he did this by himself and his own resolve, determination and courage.
img_0595.jpg img_0583.jpg img_0662.jpg img_3430.jpg

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • E-mail this story to a friend!
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • TwitThis


  • Surjit said:

    May Waheguru give you strength and good heath to complete this His-mission with success.

  • CHAMAN said:


Leave your response!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.